Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back Online with Lots of New Images!

Finally. It feels like it has been months since I last posted anything on the blog.

Adele and I are back in Johannesburg. It is still always a strange reality to come to the city when you are on leave. We have the privilege of working in the most amazing natural surroundings and to find yourself in the hustle and bustle of the city where everybody is rushed and worried about the next meeting makes you feel like you are watching a movie in fast forward.

The last few days have been extremely hectic and I am almost over the flu. Luckily just in time as we only have one week in Johannesburg in which we have to finalise all the details for our wedding on 1 November and also complete a helluva 'to do list'.

So far so good.

I have started a lot of the smaller updates and changes to the various Photo-Africa sites and will hopefully be uploading all of these around Monday next week. Will keep you posted on the Blog. One of the things on my list is to upload a huge number of images from the various photographers in Madikwe. As you have probably gathered, we live in the most amazing environment, but the Internet is still a touchy subject.

A number of the guys have given me CD's filled with new images that I will be uploading over the next few days. As I upload each photographer's images I will post a blog with a few of the images that I enjoyed.

I will still post the High Five on Friday but this gives me an excuse to post more great African Wildlife and Nature images on the Blog as well! I noticed that Craig Muller also uploaded a whole bunch of new images that looked very interesting. Pop by the Photo-Africa Stock Library to check them out or visit the Blog again later this week for the High Five.

Today I uploaded more than fifty of Neal Fischer's images. Neal has some interesting close ups of the smaller things in Africa, but here are a few images I liked while I was uploading them.

Very well done abstract. Not exactly sure how he got the background so black out in the field but very well done.

This White Rhino is seriously into marking his territory. They rub their feet in their dung and urine and then walk away while leaving a scent trail all along the borders of their territory. Nice capture.

The Lilac Breasted Roller must be one of the most photographed birds in Africa. This image was slightly different and shows this little guy with a very different facial expression.

A Pied Crow in flight. These guys have been very helpful in showing us a few kills the last few weeks. The scavenge and congregate in huge numbers around any major kills by predators such as lions and leopards.

Giraffe with a very curious look on his face. Always a great attraction on safari.

Exposure is strange in this one, but I love the way the lioness is looking at the male. Their is a story in their somewhere.

Interesting capture that, by the amount of teeth missing, looks like one of the Batia brothers.

Very nice capture. Leopards are still one of the more difficult to find species in Madikwe but the sightings have definitely been picking up over the last few months. The last week in particular was fantastic for leoaprds in the wetsern parts of Madikwe. Hopefully this will lead to more leopard images finding their way to this site.

This image was captured in the middle of the Madikwe Game Reserve. This old chapel can be found Vleishfontein which is where the current Parks Board offices are situated. Great use of sepia tones to compliment the old feel of the image. (Should look at getting more history on this?)

Those are just a few of Neal's images I uploaded today. You can view more than fifty of his new images by visiting the Newest Images on the Photo-Africa Stock Library.

Other than all the changes and uploads my book has been coming along very nicely. I am pretty much done but am struggling to find quotes on lions, rhino and a few other species. If you have any nice websites or quotes on Africa and it's animals I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me!

A quick shoutout to Zaheer Adam, a regular visitor to Madikwe, who dropped me an email after visiting the Blog. Thanks for the mail - greatly appreciated! There is so much news with regards to all the Madikwe lions you mention and I will do my best to do a Blog with some of the latest updates. Let me know when you visit Madikwe again.

I will be back again tomorrow with more new images form the other Photo-Africa photographers.

As always I look forward to hearing from you.

3 comments:

Mike said...

These sure are stunning Gerry, good to have you back posting.

Michael Palmer said...

Good that you are feeling better- that wedding day is creeping up on you!! that will be a great post- how many wildlife photographers does it take to shoot a Africa wedding? These are also some great images by Neal - I like the colorfull bird the best and of course the rhino -

2sweetnsaxy said...

Absolutely beautiful shots! I can't wait to see all of these photos you're working on. Sounds like it's going to be something truly special.