Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Photo-Africa Photographer: Matt Jones

"I live and work in the Marico bushveld, a place which grows on you, to the point where your heart feels rest and peace only in this wonderful place.  I enjoy taking photos of moments of time in this great place and sharing it with people the way I see the bush.  I hope you will fall in love with nature and our back yard as we have."  Matt Jones

 - When did you start taking photos?
From about 12 -13 years old, my old man gave me a camera, as the saying goes a "mik en drik". But it was a start.

 - Film or Digital?
Film captures colour wonderfully and it is still something special, I still carry my old slide film camera with me for those shots digital can't do Justice. 85% of the picture in my house are from slide photos. Digital has given the average guy a chance at photography. With film you had to wait for the shop to finish with your pics, to see if you had it right on the day; digital is well...digital. Digital has opened a world of self teaching, and with a little playing around with your camera; you can get some great shots. Film you had to wait for your shot, prefect timing- patience; digital some guys use motor drive and some where in the pics you will get a few good ones. I think it is good to have one foot in old school and one in the new.

 - What equipment are you currently using?
Canon 20 D, EOS 300 - Slide, Canon 75 - 300mm, Canon 25 - 80mm

 - Thoughts on Photoshop and post processing of images?
Just like the discussion on Film or Digital, I think this is the same. My feelings - I try to capture the image right fist time, that is knowing your equipment. It is special to sit back and look at a photo, and nothing was done to it. Do I use Photoshop? Yes, I think it is a great tool; I use it on pics I want to play with - more for my own interest to see how it turns out.

 - Favourite subject to photograph?
Moments in time, those little moments that come by and make an impact on your life. A sunset which touches your soul, a thunder storm which installs awe, a kudu drinking water - giving peace as you watch. I want to look back at the photos and remember those moments that came by; long after I forgot.

 - Place in the world you still want to photograph?
I traveled for a few years and the experiences I had was out of this world. I would like to travel again, were ever you go - take photos. You see the world differently with your camera, not constantly through the view finder but with an eye of perception. Moments in time.




To view more of Matt's work on the Photo-Africa Stock Library click here!

* * *
As always I look forward to hearing from you.

Until next time.

No comments: